We needed some healthy "snacky" cookies to have around the house, so I took this recipe and made a few changes to create something that would be sweet and satisfying without breaking the bloodsugar bank! Just a few reasons why these are better than Chips Ahoy ;)
- Flax Meal: Omega 3's
- Coconut Oil: Healthy Skin
- Whole Wheat Flour: Fiber
- Oatmeal: Anti-Inflammatory
- Dark Chocolate: too many to name...
Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (makes 16 or so):
Could easily make Gluten Free by using GF Baking Mix in place of flour and GF Oats
- 1 1/4 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 C Ground Flax Meal
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/2 C Coconut Oil, softened
- 1/2 C Raw Honey
- 1 Tbs Ground Flax Meal mixed in 3 Tbs Warm Water (or one egg)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 C Rolled Oats
- 1/2 C Dark Chocolate Chips or Carob Chips
- 1/4 C Unsweetened Coconut Shreds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine flour, flax seed meal, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat coconut oil and honey until smooth; add egg replacer or egg and vanilla.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until dough is just combined. Fold oats, chocolate chips and coconut into dough.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls or drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.