squash (or – as I knew them as a kid – SPACESHIPS! Mom used to use toothpicks and raisins to make them into UFOs. Sister and I ate. that. shi squash. up. Love me some sneaky vegetable strategy.)
BUT one can only steam so many martian ships before needing some cake! And so … a series of Patty Pan Recipes to squash your organic produce boredom. (baaaa dum dum… *cymbal crash*)
Patty Pan Tea Cake
*refined sugar-free, vegan option
(Modified from this recipe to fit my highly rigorous culinary standards. See also: I made it healthier.)
- 1 cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tablespoons Flax Meal
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Organic Eggs (substitute 2 T of Flax soaked in 6 Tbs water to make vegan)
- 1/2 cup Raw Honey (substitute 1/2 c Agave Nectar to make vegan)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Patty Pan Squash
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Craisins
1 Squeeze grated squash dry with a tea towel before measuring.
2. Whisk together eggs, honey, ginger, nutmeg, oil, flax mixture and vanilla.
3. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt.
4. Fold in squash, walnuts and craisins and pour into a 9 in round cake pan*
5. Bake 20 min or until golden and tooth pick inserted into center of cake comes out dry
6. Cool for ten minutes in pan before cooling completely on wire rack.
*I tried to get fancy and use my bundt cake pan. #fail Use a 9" cake pan.
Enjoy with a cup of Earl Grey tea and know that you've eaten some vegetables!