A Healthier (Seafood Optional) Alfredo
*make it gluten free using options below!
- 3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 T Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or GF Flour
- 3 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced
- 2 C Organic Skim or Soy Milk
- 1 1/2 C Grated Parmesan or Reggiano Cheese
- 3-5 Grinds Fresh Black Pepper
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Package Trader Joe's Mixed Seafood (or mixed scallops, shrimp /and calamari), thawed
- Cook 4 servings of whole wheat or brown rice pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile...
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add garlic and sautee for 30 seconds.
- Add flour and whisk quickly until a thick roux forms. Allow to cook for 30 sec - 1 min, continuing to whisk.
- Slowly stream in milk, whisking so no lumps form. Over medium heat, stir constantly with a large wooden spoon until the sauce thickens. (Will be around the time it comes to a simmer)
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese. Season with black pepper and salt to taste. Leave over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Toss the pasta lightly with the Alfredo sauce. Serve and top with grated Parmesan and a grind of pepper.
If you're adding sea food...
- Drain seafood and pat dry completely. (This is important! Dry those li'l guys out!)
- Head olive oil in a shallow skillet. Add garlic and saute for 15-seconds.
- Add seafood and cook through. By the time the shrimp turns pink, the other seafood will be done.
- Add to pasta, top with a little additional sauce, toss and serve!