Winter here in the Silicon Valley is a bit less intense than it was back in Washington, D.C.
But sunny and 65 doesn't mean I don't crave a good bowl of soup every now and again!
Meatless Monday Just Met its Match...
Easy Lentil Soup + Warm Pita and Hummus
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 recipe Quick Hummus
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven and saute onions until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 min more, being careful not to burn.
- Add cumin and black pepper, saute for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, filtered water and broth.
- Add lentils, stirring to avoid clumping and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 min or until lentils are tender. Salt to taste.
- While lentils are cooking, heat oven to 200 degrees, then turn oven off. Place pita rounds directly on oven rack for 5 min or until warm.
- Serve soup and pita with a generous blob of hummus and a squeeze of lemon!