So I threw together a gluten-free, vegan snack mix for myself with the remaining Rice Chex!
Vegans and meat eaters alike will love this salty-sweet mix of carbs, fat and protein any time.
Healthy fats and protein in the nuts will help keep you full longer, and the sweet crunch comes from honey and fruit - not refined sugar!
Honey* Vanilla Cinnamon Chex Mix
Get it Together
- 4 cups Rice Chex
- 1/2 cup GoldenRaisins
- 1/4 cup Raw Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Raw Pecans
- 2 Tbs Earth Balance (butter for non-vegans)
- 2 Tbs Honey*
- 5 drops Vanilla Creme Stevia (or 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Make it Happen
- Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees Farenheit.
- Mix together Chex and nuts in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, melt Earth Balance in the microwave, then add honey, stevia, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour butter mixture into a large baking dish. Pour cereal mixture in slowly, stirring to coat.
- Bake for 20 min, stirring every 10 minutes. Add Raisins, stir and bake for 15 min more.
- Pour out onto paper towels or a tea towel to cool.
*Honey is up for debate among vegans. If you're not up for honey... just substitute Agave Nectar.
If portion control is an issue for you - just divide the cooled mix into 1/2 to 1 cup servings and put in small containers or plastic zip-top baggies!
Keep it in your desk, in your bag or just pull a baggie out of your cabinet for a healthy pick-me-up.
Get ready to see more of ME! on Finding Your Zen Pulse this year! More fitness goals and victories, more videos and more fun!
Tomorrow: Mini Running Victory #1 of 2011