It's the most wonderful time of year! The month when we throw inhibitions out the window and gleefully sip aPumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks (in the festive red cup, of course) because it only comes once a year!!
Truth: In a grande 2% pumpkin spiced latte, there are 250 calories (ok. not deadly, right?) and get ready for it...
FORTY-TWO grams of sugar. That is nearly twice the max recommended sugar daily intake for an adult. I'll say it one more time. TWO DAYS worth of sugar in a 16 oz cup. No wonder they're like crack!
So what's a gal to do? I need those sugar grams saved for things like Pumpkin Pie!
I shall save you $5.00 and 30 grams of sugar.
- 1 cup of STRONG coffee (seriously. not kidding. "melt-the-enamel-off-your-teeth" coffee)
- 1 cup of skim or soy milk
- 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
BYO (be-your-own) Barista:
1. Brew your coffee. Double the coffee 1/2 the water. It needs to be STRONG! even if it's decaf.
2. In a saucepan, heat milk until steaming, then whisk in pumpkin, spice, vanilla and agave nectar.
3. Pour the warm mixture into your blender and blend slowly/carefully until frothy.
4. Put 1/2 cup coffee in a large mug (perhaps a festive red one?) and top with your frothy, pumpkin-y goodness.
5. Top with a little sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice and sip gleefully!